Tuesday, November 10, 2009

The Visible Spectrum - 11/9/09

I was super busy with other stuff last week, so I just kinda said "Fuck it" and didn't mention last week's radio show. Well, I'm not gonna let that happen again this week, so here's the set list:

1. The Icarus Line – “Up Against the Wall Motherfuckers”
I love, love, love this song. It's dirty, dirty, dirty - the way rock 'n roll should be. I thought it was a good opener and I was right. *pats self on back*

2. Interpol – “Obstacle 1”
Oh Interpol, if only all the songs you write could be as good as "Obstacle 1". Interpol's founding drummer was Greg Drudy, who drummed for screamo pioneers Saetia and Hot Cross, however he left Interpol before anybody ever heard of them. Figures.

3. Pretty Girls Make Graves – “The Teeth Collector”
Excellent song by one of my most favorite bands ever. These fools also played in bands like Jaguar Love, Murder City Devils, and Kill Sadie. Jay Clark is one of my favorite guitarist and he definitely brings his A-game in this song.

4. Le Tigre – “Eau D’Bedroom Dancing”
I'm not a huge Le Tigre fan, but this song is straight ballin'. This song marked the end of my indie rock segment.

5. Times New Viking – “Born Again Revisited”
This was loud and noisy. Meh.

6. Flight of the Conchords – “Hurt Feelings”
From the new album. Shit was funny. I always enjoy playing something from rotation that's actually good. Huzzah!

7. Misplaced My Zombie – “Fraggle Rock”
Huh. There's mid-90's skate punk in Nashville? Apparently. I didn't mind this, except that it must have inspired someone to call in and request The Offspring. Thankfully, I was unable to find any in WRVU's library.

8. Headlights – “Get Going”
I absolutely have no recollection of playing this. It's like it never happened.

9. Antipop Consortium – “Volcano”
I do remember this one. 'Indie hip-hop' for kids that watch Adult Swim. This shit sucked so hard I had to cut it short. That has never happened before.

10. Blood and Sunshine – “Don’t Ask Questions”
Another forgettable track. Snooze.

11. Placebo – “Kitty Litter”
Someone called into the station requesting Placebo. I tracked down one of their albums and played the first track on it. Not my kind of thing. Production is too clean and the dude has a really whiny, high voice. Whatever, it's what the people want, I guess.

12. Antioch Arrow – “Conspiring the Go-Go”
This track marked the last leg of the show, when I started playing some of my favorites. Antioch Arrow was one of the original Gravity Records bands. Really bad production, but a hell of a lot of energy is packed into this song.

13. Heroin – “Leave”
Label mates of Antioch Arrow. Matt Anderson (vocals) started Gravity Records with his band Heroin, then ironically, ran the band and the label into the ground when he became addicted to the drug, heroin.

14. Suis la Lune – “This Heart Easily Tears”
Swedish screamo? Yessir.

15. You and I – “A Day That Passes Through Us”
Another early emo band. I haven't listened all the way through their discography, but I did thoroughly enjoy this song.

16. Life at These Speeds – “A New Design”
Recent screamo band that put out two records on Level Plane Records. This had a major indie influence that I did not expect to hear. Whatever, its all good.

17. The Coma Recovery – “I Left My Body in Oregon”
I loved this instrumental. Superb mix of discord and harmony. Well done fellas.

18. Circle Takes the Square – “Interview at the Ruins”
The vocal rounds that this band puts together are pure bliss. They carry the Blood Brother's torch for spastic discord. I've heard that they're writing a record, so hopefully that will come out sometime in the near future.

19. Discovery – “Orange Shirt”
I played this because I got to the end of my show and realized that I needed to play one more requirement from rotation, so I grabbed this off the shelf. What can I say? It sucked.

No comments:

Post a Comment